- I love this analysis of Matt Capps from my friend Trudi in Pittsburgh. No one knows Matt Capps like Pirates fans know Matt Capps:
Congratulations on the Matt Capps acquisition! I recommend stocking up on Prilosec and valium now -- you'll need them later, especially when the race to the playoffs starts. Capps isn't particularly good under pressure, and he tends to throw the same fastball in the same location over and over and over and over, which means that by the fourth iteration it's sailing over his head and into the seats. (If I had a nickel for every PNC Park invocation of the old Bull Durham quote: "Anything that flies that far should have a stewardess on it!" I'd be a wealthy woman!) But, the good news is that he's a good guy -- polite to kids and old ladies, funny, good for a quote or two, active in the community. He prays before he pitches and he likes country music, beer and pizza. Hopefully, he fits in with your crowd up there.
- Like I said, I like Matt Capps. However, as someone who had him on multiple fantasy rosters last year (OUCH, btw), I am keeping expectations realistic.
- In the lists of winners and losers during this season's trade deadline festivities, everyone seems to be leaving out one of the obvious losers: US, as a people. Because Jarrod Saltalamacchia went to a team whose jerseys are sans surnames. This is a travesty. What a waste of a freakishly long name. Ugh.
- I panicked for about an hour Saturday morning, after hearing that the Pirates were calling Jeff Clement back up from AAA. There were rumors of a possible Garrett Jones trade. I put on one of my Jones Pirates player t-shirts, lit some candles and did some chanting while visualizing Primanti Bros sandwiches. Result: Garrett Jones remains a Pirate. You're welcome, Pittsburgh.
- Obviously, my favorite move of deadline day was NOT one of the flashy trades. Nope. Boof Bonser got called up by Oakland on Saturday. So now I have to watch all the Oakland games too. (And naturally, since Boof's call-up to the bullpen, the A's starters have thrown back-to-back complete games. Frustrating.)
- I am thrilled at the possibility (probability, really...but I don't want to get my hopes too high!) of Boof making the trip to Target Field later this month. At the beginning of the season, I had a dream that Those Girls ran into Boof at a Target Field gate. He said he really wanted to see the field, but since the Twins dumped him, he had to buy a ticket. It was very sad. Thinking that Boof will get to see Target Field without buying a ticket makes me happy again. I have never in my life been excited for the A's to come to town...it makes me feel a little bit dirty and ashamed. But in a good way.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Here are some bullet points about the trade deadline, mostly because I have decided I cannot be bothered to invent transitional sentences that make sense.
Posted by Sarah at 9:05 PM