It's a valid question. I didn't know the answer either, until I did a little research
So, here is my exhaustive list of the sorts of people who might be cheering for the Phillies:
- Oakland fans who find a certain comfort-zone with the Phillies' take on the "Just stepped off the prison bus" style.
- Eric Karabell
- People who live in Philadelphia
- The Phillies' mothers. (At least until they see how adorable Jason Bartlett is.)
- Someone at my work, because they anonymously scrawled "Go Phillies" on a whiteboard. I wanted to take a picture to document it, but my workplace is shrouded in secrecy, so I'm pretty sure if I pulled out a camera, the security guard would tackle me. And I'm fragile.
- Kevin Eubanks
- Obsessive-compulsives who only like the color red.
- My old college arch-nemesis, who moved to the East Coast and decided to jump on the Red Sox bandwagon when they started winning. Plus, she's evil. Like a demon.
- Nick Swisher
- The Yankees
And that's it. Everyone else should be cheering for the adorable-and-good-at-baseball Rays.
And by "did a little research," I obviously mean "wasted time at work making things up in my head."