More from the Good News Department: Commenter Jeremiah pointed out that one of Brendan Harris's songs tonight was "Jump" by Van Halen. Hmm. I feel positively drunk with power right now. Mwah ha ha ha! I love it. I think we all should feel very proud of the good work we've done here.
Between the shout-out to Mike Redmond's tendency for inappropriate nudity in the clubhouse (but obviously sometimes Mike Redmond DOES need to take his clothes off to have fun) and Jump, the resident musical genius at the Metrodome is kind of my very favorite person this week.
And on to the heart of the matter. This is something that I've been stewing about for over 24 hours now. It may make me sound like a little bit of a cranky-pants, but it's super hard for me to have an opinion about something and not share it. Plus, I think most readers know by now that anything I say comes from a place of genuine, all-consuming, (and maybe just a little bit obsessive) love and devotion to the team and its genuine fans. Having said that, I will just spit it out:
I think the Twins PR department needs to cease and desist with any and all Piranha references, immediately.
Trust me, no one appreciated the whole Piranhas thing more than Those Girls. Born of kindly Ozzie Guillen gibberish, it was one of the best parts of the '06 season. And my Little Piranha Finger Puppet is staring at me from my computer desk as I type, so I don't say this lightly. This entire rant of mine started last night at the game, watching the pre-game Fish Race, a shameless and frankly, embarrassing, rip-off of the Milwaukee sausage races. Do they do this at every Monday game? We haven't been to the Dome on a Monday since Opening Day, so I have no idea. There were 2 piranhas in the mix. It irritated me. Here's why (in bullet point format, because I find it calming):
- Except for Nick Punto, the Piranhas are GONE. The team chose to get rid of them all. I'm not arguing whether this was right or wrong, I'm just stating it as fact.
- Nick Punto, the ONE remaining Piranha, is bashed repeatedly and tirelessly by so-called "fans."
- The trademark of Piranha play was getting the job done with small-ball. This year, a lot of people spent the entire first half of the season claiming the team was positively worthless unless they were hitting home runs.
- I maintain that it is hypocritical, and just sort of stupid, for the PR department, and the Twins Territory community as a whole, to continue to embrace a concept that a) no longer applies, and b) was in the spirit of play that everyone (well, not everyone...) seems to hate and goes out of their way to complain about obnoxiously (mostly in the Star Tribune blog comments).
- I simply cannot condone "fans" cheering loudly for a stuffed piranha running around the bases, and then almost in the same breath grumbling about Nick Punto being in the line-up.
- I might be over-thinking this, but probably not.
Sometimes I think that if Those Girls magically turned into Muppets, we'd look like an awful lot like this: